We may forget that water is not an infinite source on the planet so what happens when we run out?
While seventy percent of the Earth is covered in water, only about two percent of it is drinkable. On top of this, most freshwater is inaccessible, either frozen in glacial ice or buried deep beneath the Earth's surface. According to several sources, there are currently one billion people in developing nations who lack access to clean drinking water and by 2025, up to two thirds of the world's population could living under water stressed conditions. When looking at the increasing scarcity of usable water, rising populations, and today's volatile political climate,many experts have come to the conclusion that we are on the verge of widespread conflict and many are saying that the next major war will be fought over water.
- BBC - Future - Is the world running out of fresh water? ›
- New NASA data show how the world is running out of water - The ... ›
- Do you think Earth will ever run out of water? ›
- Exactly what happens if we run out of water? | HowStuffWorks ›
- The World Is Running Out of Fresh Water. Here's What You Can Do to ›