The Trump Administration's new regulation would affect legal immigrants on welfare programs such as food stamps.
A new rule proposed over the weekend by the Trump Administration seeks to limit green cards to those who legally use food stamps, Medicaid, and other public benefits.
Pro-immigrant groups quickly condemned the regulation, saying that it creates additional barriers for legal immigrants in the U.S.
The National Immigration Law Center's executive director Marielena Hincapié said in a statement: "The Trump administration is using this regulatory backdoor approach because it attempted to enact its draconian agenda of restricting legal immigration through Congress — and failed. This rule change is radical and extreme, and it leaves the door wide open for potential abuse. All of us, regardless of where we were born, suffer when immigrants are penalized for trying to have their basic needs met."
- New Trump rule would deny green cards to immigrants who took ... ›
- Trump Administration Aims to Sharply Restrict New Green Cards for ... ›
- Trump administration moves to restrict immigrants who use public ... ›
- Trump Administration Targets Immigrants on Public Assistance - WSJ ›
- Trump's New War on Immigrants | The New Yorker ›