At approximately 2:18 PM today, every cellphone in America received a message testing this new system.
The current chapter of American history feels like a piece of speculative fiction, something resembling a joke we collectively forgot the punchline to. In the past two months alone, we've watched our Commander-in-Chief demolish a foreign economy via Twitter, fall in love with a voluptuous beauty, and nominate a gang rapist to the Supreme Court. Donald Trump, by virtue of his absurdity, has sent the news into a state of quantum flux in which the country's more prominent newsrooms have been forced to hire full-time staffers to monitor social media, patiently waiting for the tweet that abolishes the SEC or makes it legal to kill your dog. Now, with the help of FEMA, the president has the power to send alerts directly to your cellphone, whether you want him to or not. At approximately 2:18 PM today, every cellphone in America received a message testing this system.
- Emergency alert test lets President Donald Trump text you - Vox ›
- How Will Trump's Emergency Text Alerts Work? - Scientific American ›
- FEMA Testing an Alert System That Lets Trump Send You Texts | Time ›
- National alert system test: Americans to receive Trump text message ... ›
- Trump will text you at 2:18PM ET today as part of FEMA's ... ›