Berkeley Republicans sue school over Ann Coulter cancelation
1. UC Berkeley Republicans were planning on hosting an event featuring Ann Coulter on April 27. The school said nope, the event needs to be rescheduled to May 2. Coulter and gang said Thursday was the day to do it. Now the group and Coulter are suing Berkley because of the school’s rescheduling efforts. The lawsuit claims Berkley is discriminating against conservative guest speakers by using time and location restrictions. The group states the restrictions are intended to stifle conservative viewpoints by scheduling events at times where students would be busy studying for exams.
2. On the other hand, Berkeley sites safety and security concerns after UCPD received threats against Coulter. Adminsatortors stated a need for a more secure location in order to avoid the violence that occurred before former Breitbart News editor Milo Yiannopoulos’ event.
3. So, is it a legitimate safety issue or an attempt to stifle free speech?
Your Thoughts?Weigh In.
The Boy Scouts has officially changed its decades-old policy to allow transgender kids to freely join the program. Enrollment will now be based on the gender a child or parent lists on his application to become a scout, instead of the gender on his birth certificate. Any child who identifies as a boy, regardless of their sex, can now become a scout. The policy goes into effect immediately. The Girl Scouts, a separate organization, has already accepted transgender girls into its program for several years.
President Barack Obama commuted the rest of Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence Tuesday. Manning is a former Army intelligence analyst who was convicted of leaking classified material in 2013. Manning was arrested in 2010 for leaking 700,000 military files and diplomatic cables to Wikileaks. Her sentence is longer than any other individual convicted of releasing classified material. As a transgender female, she has attempted to commit suicide twice while incarcerated in a male military prison and went on a hunger strike. Manning is expected to be released in May 2017. Obama has now shortened the sentences of more federal inmates than any other president.
The second-largest Tennessee lottery prize will be split among 20 co-workers at a metal manufacturing plant. The jackpot totaled $420.9 million. The 20 workers buy $120 worth of lottery tickets twice a week. They have been paying into the lottery for eight years — and it has finally paid off. Each of the workers will reportedly receive $12.7 million before taxes.
In an opinion piece published by CNN, President Obama wrote he wants to see manned missions to Mars by the 2030s. But getting there won't just be an endeavour by NASA. The President wants NASA to work with private companies to achieve this lofty goal. Last month, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk laid out his plan to establish a self-sustaining colony on Mars.
Preseason drama: Colin Kaepernick's refusal to stand during anthem
1. San Francisco 49er's quarterback Colin Kaepernick made headlines after refusing to stand during the National Anthem at a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers. Kaepernick hasn't stood up for the anthem during any preseason game in protest. He says won't "show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." According to an ESPN report, he's not planning on standing until he sees changes and he plans on exercising his First Amendment rights.
2. NBC analyst Rodney Harrison suggested that Kaepernick isn't really black and doesn't understand racism. Other critics have said that Kaepernick is disrespecting the military. Head coach Chip Kelly is planning on starting Kaepernick in the preseason finale Thursday night, for one last chance on claiming starting quarterback.
3. So what's a man to do?
Your Thoughts?Weigh In.
A new scientific study has confirmed the existence of a rocky planet named Proxima b. It orbits Proxima Centauri, the closest star to our sun. Proxima b is within the habitable zone of its star and may have liquid water on its surface. It is the closest planet that is potentially habitable to humans. The researchers hope its proximity will provide opportunities for "robotic exploration in the coming centuries."
Should burkinis be banned from the beach?
1. Three towns in France have now banned women from wearing the burkini, which is a swimsuit style preferred by Muslim women. The burkini — modeled after the traditional burka — covers everything on the body except the face, hands and feet. City mayors argue that the swimsuit does not follow French laws about secularism. Anyone wearing a burkini on the beach will be asked to leave and fined. Cannes city officials argued that the burkini is a "symbol of Islamic extremism." France has recently suffered from terrorist attacks, for which ISIS claimed responsibility.
2. However, some have argued that the ban infringes on fundamental rights. The Collective Against Islamaphobia in France said that associating all Muslim symbols with terrorism is illogical and would only lead to increased tensions between Muslim and Catholic communities. The group called the mayor's logic "shocking."
3. So, should the burkini bans in France continue?
Your Thoughts?Weigh In.
"Have you ever thought about how your political views are impacting your relationships? Whether it be a romantic relationship, work relationship, or friendship; this topic can sometimes be a deal breaker. I see a lot of people who post on Facebook or Instagram that they WILL NOT be associated with Trump supporters or they will befriend those who are supporters. I understand the passion that goes with this particular topic of conversation because it most certainly is heavy. That being said, I do not believe that this conversation should be brought up as an introduction or online with your Facebook "friends" or followers...
"Hi my name is Rachel, nice to meet you! Oh by the way, even though I like you as an individual, if you're voting for so-and-so I can't be friendly with you." Sounds weird in that context, ya? Not only does this make someone uncomfortable, it's isolating. You are now wrapped up in a little tiny box that only has people that agree with you (politically) in it. Congrats!
I have a lot of friends that disagree with me politically and often bring up politics when we're out... I will avoid the conversation completely, smile, and take a huge drink of my cocktail. I don't do this because I am disrespecting their opinion, I do this because I respect my relationship with that person more than discussing what side of the street we stand on.
I believe in America, our potential, and most importantly the men and women who fight for this beautiful place we call the United States of America."
Perceptions Of Her is a blog meant for all women alike. Our mission is to uplift, educate, and inspire women on a daily basis to help find inner creativity. Alex will keep you updated weekly on her favorite fashion trends, health & wellness tips, beauty products, and her experience having a full-time job in New York City. Follow @tweetsofher on social media for more updates! We hope you love the blog as much as we do. Cheers!